welshy72

welshy72

Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death
Katherine Ramsland
Progress: 63 %

Room: A Novel

Room - Emma Donoghue Jack is five years old and lives in a room with Ma, a locked room.

It’s hard to give a good sypnosis on this book without giving the plot away so a single sentence will have to do!! I’m finding it hard to describe my feelings on this book as well but I’ll try my best. Here goes…..

There’s been a lot of hype about this book lately, with it being shortlisted for the Man Booker prize. It’s also a book that’s being reviewed on Channel Four’s, The TV Book Club. I tend to read the hyped up books after all the buzz has died down so I get my own thoughts on it rather than being ‘swept up in the tide’.

Anyway, this book is fabulous, I know it’s only the beginning of February but it’s one of my top reads of the year so far. Told in the voice of five year old Jack, Donoghue captures the youngsters language in an amazing fashion with Jack saying things like ‘The tooth was rotted’ amongst others, it’s just how a five year old would speak.

A very moving story, slightly uncomfortable reading in places but not enough to make me squirm. The plot is original, I’ve never read anything like this., I didn’t want to put the book down. The book is 400 pages long but I could easily have read twice that but it probably wouldn’t have made a very good story then!

Highly recommended and I shall be looking for more works by this author. If you only read one book this year then make it this one.