welshy72

welshy72

Cemetery Stories: Haunted Graveyards, Embalming Secrets, and the Life of a Corpse After Death
Katherine Ramsland
Progress: 63 %

Jasper Jones

Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey Late on a hot summer night at the tail end of 1965, Charlie Bucktin, a precocious and bookish boy of thirteen, is startled by a knock on his window. His visitor is Jasper Jones. Rebellious, mixed-race and solitary, Jasper is a distant figure of danger and intrigue for Charlie.

This story is based in Australia and told from Charlie Bucktin’s point of view. It started off slow and I felt the pace didn’t pick up much. It had pages of descriptive details that had no significance to the story and it got slightly tedious reading them.

Charlie was a character that was older than his years, I have a 15 year old, an intelligent 15 year old but even she wouldn’t use the words chose by Charlie, they were just to advanced for his age of 13 years. He looked up to Jasper Jones, saw him as a ‘cool guy’.

Some of the romantic scenes were quite touching in a schoolboy meets schoolgirl kind of way. More of the story came out in the last few pages than in the whole of the book.

So to sum up, I didn’t really enjoy this, felt it was too young for me but the dialogue chosen would be too difficult for my 11 year old as it was too advanced.